In this article, we will discuss the top 20 most asked Jira interview questions. You are advised to read these questions carefully. If you have other important Jira interview questions in mind which can be asked during the interview then you can let us know in the comments.
Jira Interview Questions
What is Jira?
Jira is an issue tracking tool developed by Atlassian which is commonly used for bug tracking, issue tracking, and project management.
Jira can be used for:
- Requirement and test case management
- For agile teams
- For project management teams
- Software Development teams
- For project management teams
- For task management
- Bug tracking
If you want to read the full article on Jira tutorial, you can click here.
What is workflow in Jira?(Important Jira interview questions)
Workflow is a set of statuses and transitions through which an issue moves. In Jira, the issue/bug moves into 3 phases:
- Work in Progress
List out different report types generated in Jira?
- Average Age report
- Created vs Resolved issue report
- Pie Chart report
- Resolution Time report
- Recently created issue report
- Single level group by report
- Time since issue report
- Time Tracking report
- User Workload report
- Version time tracking report
- Version Workload report
- Workload Pie chart report
How an issue is created in Jira?(Important Jira interview questions)
You need to create an issue so that the developer can fix that. There are some steps for creating an issue.
- Log in to your Jira account by valid credentials. When you click on login, you will be directed to the dashboard.
- Click on the create button, a new window will open.
- In the project field, you have to select the project.
- Then you have to select the issue type, there will be some options like Epic, Story, Task, and bug. In this case, you have to select a bug.
- Then, in summary, you have to enter the title of your bug.
- In the description, you have to describe your issue in detail.
- Then you have to select the priority of the bug(Highest, high, medium, low, lowest).
- Click on create, the bug/issue will be created.
How an issue can be shared with other user in Jira?
It is one of the mostly asked Jira interview questions.
- Click on the backlog.
- Click on any issue. When you will click on the issue then you can see a social sharing icon there.
- Click on this button as you can see in the above picture. Enter the username, team, or email.
- Enter the message in the “Add a message” field.
- Click on send, the issue will be shared with the mentioned user.
What are the benefits of using Jira?
- Jira is easy to use.
- You can create any type of issue.
- Jira is very good at agile implementation.
- It is very easy to learn and is flexible.
- Jira is highly customizable.
- It provides a single view of all the user’s stories.
- It provides email notification when the ticket is assigned to specific users.
- Jira is very user friendly.
- It offers very good search and filter functionality.
Is it possible to access Jira cloud via mobile devices?
Yes, you can access the Jira cloud via mobile devices. You have to enter the URL of the Jira cloud site in your mobile browser and then you can access the Jira cloud from your mobile devices.
What is Labeling in Jira?
Labeling is used to categorize an issue. With the help of these labels, you can also search for the issue. When you create issues then you can set a label for that issue.
- Click on create issue.
- Then you can select the labels if any or enter a new one.
- Click on create issue. The labels will also be created.
What are some of popular add-ons for Jira?
- Zephyr for Jira – Test Management
- Xray test management by Xpand IT
- Jira Toolkit Plugin
- Automation for Jira
- Portfolio for Jira
- Jira Charting Plugin
- Tempo Timesheets
- Big Gantt
- Issue Templates
- Jira Misc workflow extensions
How many color Indicators are there in Jira?
There are three color indicators available in Jira. There color indicators shows us the amount of time that has been spent for the issues. It is available in the time tracking section.
It Indicates the original estimated time. It is labeled as Estimated.
The amount of time that is spend on resolving the issue so far. it is labeled as Logged.
The amount of time left before the issue is resolved. It is labeled as Remaining.
How we can schedule an issue in Jira?
Scheduling an issue means we are scheduling the work for a particular date “due date”. For scheduling an issue you need permission from the Jira administrator. Only the users with permission can populate the due date field.
What are issue types in Jira?
Jira Service Desk
- It Help
- Service Request
- New Feature
What do you mean by cloning a issue in Jira?(Important Jira interview questions)
Cloning the issue means creating the duplicate of an issue. By doing this, multiple users can work on a single issue. If you do some changes in the clone issue then it will not affect the original issue. The cloned issue contains following information:
- Issue type
- Components etc.
Explain Scrum Board?
It is a framework which helps in the teamwork. The scrum team works in the sprints and each sprint usually lasts for 2-3 weeks. You can tackle these sprints on the scrum board. A scrum board can be used physically or virtually. A scrum board is like a whiteboard which consists of three columns:
List out the things which are not included in cloned issue in Jira.
- History of the issue
- Time Tracking
- Comments which are made on the original issue
Can we move an issue back to its previous status in Jira?
No, we can not move an issue back to its previous status in Jira. You can use the “On Hold” feature to Move an issue back to its previous status.
These are some steps:
- Create a global transition to the “On Hold” status.
- Now you need to create another transitions to every other status you want to come back to from “On Hold” status.
- You cannot have same transition names, so you have to add blank space at the end of it.
- Now you will hide the other status “On Hold”by adding the value field condition on the global transactions because you don’t want the status transition from “On Hold” and “Done” to “On hold”.
What is Audit Log?
This tracks key activities in Jira products. The activities that are recorded in the audit log can be viewed in the Jira administration console. In the Audit log, you will find all the information regarding the created issue and the changes made in the issue.
What is issue collector?
Issue Collector allows you to embed a Jira feedback form to your own website. This will help site visitors to log issues into Jira. For this, visitors are not required to have a user account in Jira for logging the issues.
Differences between Bugzilla and Jira?
|It is an open-source tool.||It is a commercial tool.|
|This is not user friendly.||Jira is user friendly.|
|Bugzilla has a powerful advanced search Option.||Jira lacks in this advanced search option.|
|Drag and drop issue prioritization is not available.||Drag and drop issue prioritization is available.|
|Real-time release tracking is not available.||Real-time release tracking is available.|
|Server Load is low in Bugzilla.||The server load is considerable in Jira.|
|Bugzilla doesn’t support Kanban projects.||Jira supports Kanban projects.|
|The user interface is not that good in Bugzilla.||The user interface is much better.|
How we can modify multiple bulk issues in Jira?
Bulk Change option is used to modify bulk issues in Jira. These are the bulk change operations:
- Transit issues
- Edit issues
- Move issues
- Delete issues
- Watch issues
- Stop Watching issues