This is the most common question asked during your software testing interviews. You should know test cases, and you should know how to write test cases. In this post, we will learn how to write test cases for atm. In the recent article, we have also studied how to write test cases for the pen.
Firstly lets us know the full form of atm. ATM stands for Automated Teller Machine. In this post, we will discuss the UI test cases, functional test cases and negative test cases.
There can be a lot of more test cases for ATM. If you have more test cases in your mind, do let us know in comments.
UI Test cases for ATM
We will discuss the UI test cases for ATM.
- Chek on the screen that all labels and controls like buttons, images are visible.
- You need to check that the application UI is responsive.
- Check that the text written on the screen is visible.
- Verify that the ATM is fully touch screen or keyword
- Check that the ATM supports both keyboard and touch screen.
- Check that the font of texts is easy to read or not.
- Verify that the size and colour of the ATM are according to the specifications.
Functional Test case’s
In this, we need to verify the functionality of the ATM.
- Verify the type of ATM.(is it entirely touch screen to we need to use the keyboard too).
- Check that the ATM card insertion slot is according to the specifications.
- Check that when the user enters the card incorrectly, the user is required to insert the card again.
- Verify that when the user inserts card correctly, the user gets the valid options like enter your pin to continue.
- Check that the language selection option is visible to the user.
- Verify that the user is asked to enter the PIN and if the user enters valid pin, then this information like cash withdrawal/balance enquiry should be shown.
- If users enter an invalid pin, then no bank details/balance enquiry should be shown.
- Check that the pin is encrypted when entered.
- Verify that the card is blocked if users entered the wrong pin for multiple times.
- User should get an error message if the user enters the wrong pin.
- Verify that the correct amount of money debited from the account.
- Check that the machine takes out the entered money successfully.
- Verify that the available balance is shown on the screen after the cash withdrawal.
- Check if the user enters amount greater than the available balance then the machine should generate the error message.
- Verify that the user gets the option to get transaction receipt in printed form.
- Check that the ATM is working correctly for all account types like a savings account, current account.
- Check that after the successful withdrawal, the machine should log out the user’s session.
Negative Test cases for ATM
In this, we will write the negative test cases of ATM, and we will test the negative test scenarios of ATM.
- Check that the machine accepts the cards and pin or not.
- Check that if the user enters an invalid pin, the error message is displayed or not.
- The ATM should validate the card only if the user enters the card of allowed banks.
- Verify that when the user enters money less than 100, the error message is displayed.
- Check that the user is allowed to enter the amount for cash withdrawal.
- When the user clicks on the cancel button, the transaction should be aborted or cancelled.
- If the user has less money in the account and he/she tries to withdraw more, the warning message should be displayed.
- The machine doesn’t accept atm cards like visa, MasterCard, Rupay card etc.
- When the machine has dispatched by the money, then the money should not be taken back by the machine.
- The machine doesn’t log out the user’s session after a successful withdrawal.
- If a user enters invalid denominations, he/she should get a warning message.
- Check that the machine asks users to print a transaction receipt after transaction or not.
- Verify that the machine doesn’t accept Expired and invalid cards.
- Check that if during the transaction, a power failure occurs then the transaction should be marked as unsuccessful or failed and the amount should not be debited from the user’s account.
- The machine accepts more than three invalid pin inputs.
- If there is no current available in the ATm, an error message should be displayed.
In the next article, we will discuss the test cases for a banking application.