Everyone is aware of online shopping and mostly prefer online shopping these days. It becomes essential to have a good e-commerce website to get success. In this post, we will discuss how to write test cases for an online shopping website. Read this article carefully as this will help you in understanding and then you can find common errors in these type of websites. You can also read how to write test cases for lift.
These test cases are based on the Amazon site.
Let us understand how to write test cases for online shopping websites.
Home Page Test Cases
There is a clickable image or slideshow with an auto-scroll feature on the home page of the website.
- Does the homepage appear the same in the different screen resolutions and other browsers?
- The Image auto-scrolling feature is there or not.
- After how much time, it changes the slides.
- When you hover the mouse on the image, does the auto-scroll feature pauses or continues to slide.
- Are you able to find Login and Signup button on the Home Page?
- Is there shopping cart button on the Home Page?
- Can you see the contact us option there?
- Is there choose category option available?
- When you click on the scrolling images, does it takes you to the correct product/page?
- Verify that the company logo is visible on the home page.
Search Page Test Cases
- Check that the search shows relevant results.
- Check that is there any option to select any category and then search results are displayed according to that category.
- Is there autocomplete recommendations are shown.
- If you type the wrong name, then it shows the correct product or not.
- When you enter symbols like #,+,/ in the search bar then what search bar shows.
- When you didn’t enter anything in the search bar and click on the search button, does it shows any error?
- Check that the products are displayed according to the search.
- Is there any option to add filters in search results?
- After selecting your matching preferences in the filter, does search result shows the result matching with your chosen preferences.
- Verify that the sorting option works correctly in search result pages
Product Page Test Cases
- You need to verify the actual product with the expected product details.
- The product images should be according to the product.
- There should be an option to add item in the cart.
- There should be an option to add items to the Wishlist.
- Does the delivery options are available on this page?
- The item is in stock, or currently out of stock is displayed or not.
- There should be product specifications displayed on this page.
- The buy now option should work as expected. The user must be able to buy the product using this option.
- Price of the product should be listed on this page.
- The reviews given by customers should be present on this page.
- The user can give his/her reviews regarding the product on this page.
Shopping Cart Page Test Cases
- Check that user can add items in the shopping cart.
- The user should be able to add the same item multiple items in the cart.
- The user should be able to add different things into the cart.
- Check that the user can delete the items from the cart or not.
- When an item is added into the cart, it shows the number of quantity and price.
- When adding multiple items in the shopping cart, it should show us the total cost by adding the price of all the things.
- If you delete all items from the cart, it should display like the cart is empty.
- The checkout option should be present there on this page.
- When the user enters items into the cart, he/she gets the option to make Payment or continue to shop.
- Check that save for later option works correctly or not.
Registration Page Test Cases
- Check that all required fields are present on the registration page.
- Verify that all essential fields which are mandatory to fill are marked with *.
- Check that dropdown box, radio buttons and checkboxes are present instead of only text.
- When you enter symbols or characters in the mobile number field, it should show some error.
- When you click on continue button after filling all required details, an OTP will be sent on your e-mail id/phone number and on verifying this, the account should be created.
- If you enter less than six characters in the password field, it should show some error.
- If you click on continue without filling mandatory fields, it should show some error.
- Check that if we click on continue without entering any information, it should show some error.
- Only valid e-mail address like @gmail.com,@yahoo.com etc. should be accepted.
Login Page Test Cases for Online Shopping Website
- Check that the user needs to enter the correct phone number/email id. If the user enters valid phone number/email id, it should ask to enter the password.
- Verify that proper validation placed on the mobile number/email id field.
- An error message should be displayed if the user clicks on the continue button without entering any number/email id.
- An error message should be displayed if the user clicks on the login button without entering any password.
- If the user enters the correct password, he/she should be successfully logged in.
- An error message should be displayed if the user enters the incorrect password.
- If the user forgets the password, he/she can recover the password by using the forgot password option.
Delivery Address Page Test Cases
- Check that the user can add new address successfully.
- Check that the user can delete the saved address.
- When the user clicks on add new address option and enters invalid information, It should display the error message.
- The user should be able to edit the existing delivery addresses.
- After selecting the delivery address, It should ask to choose a delivery option.
- After choosing the delivery option, It should display the payment page.
Payment Page Test cases for online shopping website
- Check that the different payment options are shown to the user.
- The card details should be encrypted when entered for making payment.
- After entering all the correct information, the product should be purchased successfully.
- Check that the EMI option is available or not.
- Check that is there any option to add Gift Card.
- Is the available bank offers are shown to the user on this page.
- Check that cash on delivery option is there or not.
- Check that does the user receives confirmation message on phone number/email id after buying the product.
Other Important Test Cases for online shopping website
- You need to check how this site responds when there are multiple requests
- You need to check the page loading time for this site.
- Does this site is mobile friendly or mobile responsive?
- Does the online chat feature work correctly?
- The user needs to pinch in and pinch out to view data on this site.
- How much time it takes to load pages on mobile devices.
There can be a lot of other test cases for online shopping sites. We have discussed some of those. If you have any test cases in mind, do let us know in comments.